When people hear the word ‘downsize’, their first thought is usually ‘a smaller place to live’. While that might often be the case (though not always), downsizing is better thought of as a lifestyle choice.
Reducing the demands of everyday living
• Increasing Available Cash - The old saying ‘house rich – cash poor’ is especially true in the Vancouver area where house prices and the cost of living are among the most expensive in Canada. By choosing a new, less expensive dwelling, some of the value contained in your existing home can end up in your pocket. Many clients do this to free up funds for travel to exotic lands, or that special purchase. The freedom to do what you want, where you want.
• A smaller home - The larger the home, the higher the upkeep. Aside from the added cost, (many of us have) as we get older less interest in spending all that time doing basic maintenance - clearing roof troughs, mowing grass, cleaning inside and out – the list goes on! Smaller is simpler, and simpler means more time for other things.
• Mobility- Reduced mobility with age is fact of life. Stairs become more difficult to climb and there’s always risk of a fall. That beautiful winding staircase starting to seem more like a workout? Ranchers are one option, and they come in all shapes and sizes. There are plenty of two-story layouts that work well also.
• Better Layout - Many modern homes have the laundry room closer to the actual living space, not buried in the far reaches of the house. Wider staircases and larger individual bathrooms provide for ease-of-use, as does easy access to entrances and proximity to the garage.
Builders are also responding to buyers who want space dedicated to their ‘me time’ activities, whether it’s a media room, hobbies, fitness, or yoga.
• Better Location - Our roads in the lower mainland aren’t getting any less crowded or hectic. Does time in traffic have to be a cost of employment? Certainly not for the retired.
With Skytrain expansion, along with the West Coast Express, many still in the workforce are realizing that residing close to public transit can make the life much less stressful. Vehicle wear and tear is also much reduced.
Having amenities – community center, parks, shopping, medical service providers – close by means the best the city has to offer is right at your doorstep.
Working with you to make the right choices
As you can see, downsizing offers an exciting wealth of possibilities. Having ‘downsized’ myself, I can make the process worry-free.
My plan for you will be the one that defines easy living to fit your needs, where attention to detail and personal service is unmatched and unique. Contact me and let’s start your new journey.
Are you a “Boomer” or are you actually a “Zoomer”
According to Zoomer magazine, zoomers are those over 45 who embrace life with experience, confidence, and passion, and who want the absolute best from everything life has to offer.
Zoomers are boomers with zip!